“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:11- 13, NIV
Think of a trial in your life that you might not have considered “pure joy” at the time, but now you look back with great joy and thankfulness. How has God grown you through that experience? Has He placed anyone in your path since then that is going through a similar trial? How has your experience helped you comfort and minister to them?
This is your testimony, this is your story. Have you ever been asked to share your testimony? Have you ever prepared it or written it down?
Please allow me to challenge you to begin doing that now. Here are some suggestions for an outline to get you started:
- Write down the trial or conflict you experienced.
- Was your struggle a result of your own bad choices, someone else’s bad choices, or just something that God allowed to happen, such as an illness?
- How did you react at first? Did you run to or from God? Did you even know God at that time? If not, how did you get to know Him?
- If your struggle was a result of your own bad choices or sin, when did you cry out to God and confess this sin? What prompted you to finally confess and repent? How did you feel afterward? Do you understand that through the blood of Christ and your repentance, that sin has been washed away, gone—as far as the East is from the West? Redeemed, friend, it is truly gone!
- Was there someone who ministered to you at that time with compassion, friendship, or care such as food or other help? Did that friend ever talk to you about God’s love for you? Did they invite you to church or share the Bible with you?
- What was transformed in you during that time? How did you change?
- Did you have a favorite Scripture verse or verses? If so, which ones? Do you know some other verses to share with those in need now?
- How was your struggle resolved, or how is your life better today even if you are still going through this struggle? What role does God play in your life and in the victories of your life?
I pray that you will use these prompts to write your testimony. I can assure you that God will give you an opportunity to share it someday. It is up to you whether you prepare or not, but you will have the chance—maybe many chances. My prayer for you is that you would testify to the great things He has done.
Oh God, I am so grateful that You saved me and I now I have a story to tell others. Amen!
Copyright Kathy Branzell.
Kathy has a heart for encouraging Christian educators and currently serves as the President of the National Day of Prayer Task Force. Prior to this role, she was the founder and president of Fellowship and Christian Encouragement (FACE) for Educators.